Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The rally where fuel efficiency matters..and boring as hell!

Today in the Midlands of England,a very special form of motor rally took place where speed and finishing first was far from important. It was an economic fuel usage rally where all the drivers had to ease off the speed be careful with the braking, change down perfectly on the gears at the right speed of the engine..and the winner was the one with the highest fuel efficiency.

Great for these economically troubled times. Great for the carbon footprint, climate change consciousness, call it what you like...but Jeez, wouldn't you just sell your car rather than drive like that?

It must be wonderful to get 82mpg by driving at 28 mph for 4 hours to get as far as Manchester from Birmingham but, speaking personally, I'd be combatting severe leg cramps and boredom way before I got there. The joy of owning a car is to drive at speed down an open road, to revel in the power under your control, to handle the potential of a throaty powerful beast with skill and aplomb.

If I had to emulate these guys I'd sell my car and use public transport all the time. Maybe that's the answer. The British car industry is dead, Detroit is struggling with bale-outs from the US government. Maybe the thrill of motoring is a bygone treasure we can no longer afford. Maybe we are all going back to the stone age thanks to the cost of fuel.

But until I'm dragged, kicking and screaming, off the highway, I'm going to get the pleasure from my Mazda sports coupe..and to hell with the cost!!


No comments: