Monday, July 02, 2007

Smoke free at last!

I posted in April about the impending legislation, then already in effect in Scotland, Ireland and Wales, which was to be introduced in England on July 1st - an end to smoking in public places. Well yesterday it happened and I went into one of my favourite pubs for lunch.





The atmosphere was so much better, no more the second hand cigarette smoke drifting through the lounge - just pure clear air. The pub in question, called 'The Dog' on the Hagley Road in Birmingham has always been a nice place to eat and drink with a 'no smoking' section of which I always availed myself.

Today was even better. I popped into my local, 'The Bell' and the difference was enormous. Here is a small pub, dating back to the 1700's, a lovely old coaching inn with lots of character but with a very low roof and no capacity for expansion or change. A pub which, if health considerations had ruled a decade ago, should long have been a no smoking pub. Instead the clientele lit up with gusto and, when trying to eat a meal there, the place often felt like a kipper factory....but no more. I walked in today past the 'Smoking is illegal on these premises' sign and what a wonderful difference the law has made. I could drink a pint without a catch in my throat, a slight burning in the eyes and a general sense of distaste for the smell of smoke. Wonderful and overdue.



Oh I know I'm regarded as a 'health fascist' by some but I'm happy with that. I see that some clowns are taking this law to the European Court as a breach of human rights. They haven't a hope in hell. Soon people will all get used to this and wonder why we ever allowed the foul practice in public in the first place!

No comments: