Monday, February 26, 2007

So the 'Oscar' s did confirm the 'Brits'

It was good to see Helen Mirren follow her 'Brits' success in the big one, winning the best actress Oscar for her role as 'The Queen' and very endearing too, to see her interview where she modestly gave all the credit to Lizzie Windsor, saying 'It's the Queen they are really honouring, I am just wearing the suit!'

I've always felt, as I said, in my 'Brits' piece that Helen Mirren could have done better with her career. She has in the past chosen some 'dodgy' vehicles on which to demonstrate her talent but talent there is in abundance and its great to see it recognised last night.




Forest Whitaker won the best actor, again replicating his 'Brits' success and was a popular winner although here there was a lot of sentimental hope for Peter O' Toole for his role in 'Venus'. An American friend came out with a phrase I hadn't heard before to describe Whitaker's performance as 'chewin' up the scenery' and I guess the performance might be a little OTT but then so was the real monster.





I suppose the really popular winner with almost every film buff was Martin Scorsese finally getting the reward his terrific talent deserved by being hailed Best Director after finally coming good on his 6th nomination for the award.



Finally just one beef. Why can't the US hold the Oscars in the afternoon so I have a chance to watch it live? Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

No comments: