Sunday, February 11, 2007

Does it really matter?

Sometimes I wonder about the sense of perspective of the human race. The leader of Britain's Conservative Party, David Cameron (on whom I have done a piece before on this blog) has come under the media spotlight for SENSATIONAL revelations that could affect his aspirations to be Prime Minister - it is alleged that he smoked cannabis at school when he was 15!!



I mean, for God's sake! Who bloody cares? The odd thing is that his critics are not, predominantly, in the opposition Labour Party but in his own Conservative Party from some of the old buffers who 'fought to make this country what it is today' etc. etc.

There are lots of reasons why I think Cameron would not make a good Prime Minister, as I said in my earlier piece, but smoking pot at 15 is not one of them.

I can understand why the media think it's important that all candidates for our highest political office have their pasts scrutinised - after all we don't want murderers, rapists etc to get the job but if thats all they have on him they should lay off.

Cameron's biggest mistake now is not to come clean. He hasn't even got as far as the Clinton bullshit of 'Yeah but I didn't inhale'. Cameron is choosing to say coyly, 'Well I might and I might not - whats it got to do with you?'. In my opinion its not going to go away unless he faces the issue. If I were him I'd say 'Yes I smoked cannabis like loads of other kids. Doesn't make it right but it doesn't make me an evil person either. Judge me on my adult record' - and I think he would gain kudos from doing that. Waffling seems to me to invite disaster but that links back to my earlier post, for maybe that is his great weakness. Waffling is, I think, David Cameron's stock in trade.

No comments: