Saturday, April 25, 2009

Appalling pub toilets

I was going to head this 'Pissed off' but I thought that was rather too coarse and low for a blog of this gravitas (ahem!!) but I am horrified at the state of the toilets in some of the pubs I visit. As I mentioned in an earlier thread I suffer from colitis so, unfortunately, my necessary visits often involve more than just leaping in and out for a leak.

I can't believe that either the management of the pubs concerned or their owners are prepared to let this situation continue. Are they not ashamed? A good evening out in a smart bar can be spoilt by the visit to the toilets which often as not have flooded floors, no toilet paper and the locks broken.




I'm sure my native city is far from the only offender, British traditions in this area traditionally erring on the side of the disgusting. We could take lessons from the Germans in terms of providing public facilities and where severe fines are imposed by an active inspectorate on premises which fall below an acceptable standard.

I accept that the state of the 'loos' is just negligence but I am puzzled by what seems to be the deliberate policy of removing door locks. Do they expect to catch armies of graffiti fiends or maybe some homosexual tryst? God knows but I do find this to be another black mark on pub loos. I'm not particularly a retiring violet but nobody wants some guy blundering in and saying 'sorry mate' as you sit there with trousers round your ankles, hardly at your most dignified.

Anyway there is one site which clearly feels as I do!! They've had the good idea of giving red, amber and green flashes against the pubs visited by their readers, dependent on the quality of their toilets. Dark green is excellent, light green good, amber average, light red is bad, and - if you visit premises marked dark red - take a clothes peg for your nose, your own loo paper and anti nausea pills. I hope their name and shame policy has some effect!

No comments: