Sunday, February 08, 2009

Edging closer to an authoritarian state 'in the interests of national security'

I am getting sick to death of this f***ing Labour government which I once used to serve with enthusiasm as a Party activistfor many years. How idealism changes into disillusion so quickly.

Now, following ID cards and other computerised stores of information designed to give the government ever greater control over our lives, we have the proposal of a national travel database which will record every detail of where each one of us travels to, including our names, addresses, where we went, how long for, who we went with and even our seat numbers. Why? Need you ask? The same old hoary chestnut about 'national security and protecting us from terrorism'. Well I might be mad but I'm getting to the point where I'd be prepared to risk my life at the hands of some politically motivated assassins than continue to accept this ever increasing drift towards an authoritarian society where the government knows our every move.



I seriously wonder if this is in conflict with European Union rules and rights? Maybe worth challenging in the European court. And I wonder how many nations will play along with this? Hopefully people will be able to exploit loopholes, say travel to Ireland and get a long distance flight from there.

Why am I bothered? I must have something to hide. That will be the reaction of supporters of this move. No, not at all. I go abroad quite frequently and its all about human rights. If I want to tell people Ive been to Prague or Berlin or whatever I'll do it. I hate the idea of some all-seeing state taking away that freedom and replicating the worst suspervisory aspects of Stalinist Russia.

I hope this withers on the vine. But given the ease with which the government has pushed through other illiberal legislation in recent years with either a token scrutiny or none at all, I fear the worst.

'Liberty' where art thou? It's time to stand up and be counted once again - and by some means convince the complacent British not to stand for all this. Sadly though the alternative of a Conservative government is the only means of protest in our so-called democracy. And the prospect of that is even worse!

No comments: