Sunday, May 04, 2008

Well done Albion!! First title for 87 years!

Now some people might say this was a more light-hearted topic than usual. Not a bit of it! When the late Bill Shankly was once asked about his passion for the game of football and the journalist was rash enough to suggest that it was not, after all, a matter of life and death, Shankly fixed him with a steely glare and said 'Dead right son - it's a bloody sight more serious than that!'

Well I'm not sure I'd go that far but my joy that West Bromwich Albion has won the Championship title is unrestrained. The team was more or less promoted last week but today they made not only a certainty of promotion, but ensured that they finished in first place to take the Championship trophy.



Unbelievably, although Albion has gone up and down divisions, even sinking as low as the old third division at one time, this is the first title the team has won since they took the old First Division title in 1921. They have been promoted and relegated many times in that period but promotion has always been via second place or via the play-offs.

I have greater hopes for their Premier league survival now than I have when the Albion has reached the top flight on other occasions in recent years. The Club has a manager who knows what he's doing and a playing style which is a joy to watch. The team needs to be reinforced to survive in the Premiership but I believe the team has more strength in depth than on previous occasions, a manager who knows what he wants and has bought well. I just hope, now that he has proved he has got what it takes, that manager Tony Mowbray is not lured away to some richer club in the close season.

But I have high hopes for my beloved Baggies in the Premiership. They will struggle at first, no doubt, but I believe they have the team, the support and the ability to make a real stab at staying there this time around.

Well done the lads!!!!!

No comments: